Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Short Interruption-- Re-evaluating

I will be taking a short break from this trip and continuing at the end of July. I had to go back to Canada for my Dad's retirement party.

I stopped at Totsuka with one day left on my planned walk, but four stations short of my goal.

When I planned this trip, I planned on starting my walk each morning at 8:30 or 9:00 am. I figured that I could stop walking at sometime around 6 pm on the long distance days. I had even gone so far as to calculate my walking speed at kilometers per hour and add in some photo time. I figured on a slowish day, I would probably walk at a pace of 20 minutes per kilometer. Ultimately, I figured that I could do about two stations a day at a fairly leisurely pace and get lots of photos in.

WRONG! While I did figure that my walking speed was fairly accurate, I was really off in the amount of time it took me to take photos. The biggest chunk of time was devoted to setting up Estello. The later than planned start didn't help but mostly, on further distance days, I really struggled to get one station done. I was so happy to see the station. I couldn't imagine going the same distance again in the same day.

Having to go to Canada on Monday but promising to help a friend in the studio on Saturday, and needing to process all my images before I took off, I realized I was running out of time.

I still plan to keep walking and I plan to be back on Old Tokaido by July 28 or 29.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, probably so it is