Monday, June 18, 2007

Day 4: Where's That Book?

Intended Start Time: 11:00 (but late again)

Time I realized I forgot the guidebook: 10:50 (after I was already two trains away)
Items Forgotten: guidebook

I downsized some of my gear (mainly my wallet) and assumed I already had my guidebook in the bag. Yes, I know what people say about "assume." I pulled out the book when I was trying to convince my husband to join me for one leg of the trip and he was game until he found out we'd be due to walk around Fujisawa. It's his hometown, and he guarantees that I won't find anything interesting there.

I met Jamie at Starbucks in Yokohama station. We had a quick sandwich and deliberated about what to do. I suggested going to a book store, looking at a map and finding which way to go. As ideas go, it was pretty good. In reality, none of the maps listed Kyu Tokaido (Old Tokaido). I seem to remember the route going off the Number 15 or Number 1. Any chance to stay off those boring busy roads if I can is welcome.


The idea of just puttering around Yokohama Station and taking it easy was pretty appealing. I got a chance to play around with my Polga. I was happy to have remembered the lens adapter even though I forgot the book. The Polaroid 88 film (ISO 80) has never been very good to me. I can get amazing blues, but even on the brightest days, I don't seem to get much detail. Today I plugged in some Polaroid 690 (ISO 100 color) and Polaroid 670 (ISO 400 BW) and was so much happier.


I also managed to connect a two filters onto my Holga lens. The Euro-sepia filter is a lot of fun and adds some nice yellow to the color film and a 5x close up filter turns my Polga into a loose macro. I can get up to 20 cm away from the subject!





No Estello shots today. I thought I would take some at the amusement park at Minato Mirai, but I took a few polaroids and mostly sat on a bench.

No comments: